New Orleans Dog Bite Lawyers
Helping Clients in Orleans Parish County Financially Recover From Dog Bite Injuries
According to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, over 4.5 million individuals are bitten by dogs in the U.S. Many victims end up with serious injuries such as blood loss, disfigurement, internal injuries, and infections. In extreme cases, victims will need extensive reconstruction surgery.
On top of the physical injuries, dog bite victims often deal with severe psychological trauma and require ongoing psychological treatment. For many victims, life will never be the same. If a dog has injured you, speak with our New Orleans dog bite attorney.
On This Page
After a dog bite injury, you must do the following:
- Check yourself for any injuries (if you or someone else is injured, call an ambulance immediately)
- Collect information - get the dog owner's contact information, witness contact information, and take photographs
- Contact a personal injury lawyer at our firm
- Seek medical attention
- Contact the police
Ed has been handling personal injury claims related to dog bites and attacks for 35 years. Learn more about our client-centered services today.
The state applies a strict liability statute regarding dog bite injuries in Louisiana. This means that dog owners can be held liable for any injuries caused by their dogs, even if the animal has no history of aggression. Dog owners will no longer get a “free pass” for the dog’s first bite.
Dog owners can be held liable for damages in the following examples:
- The owner failed to restrain their dog or use a leash, and the animal attacked someone
- The dog bit or scratched a person
- The dog knocked over a person, and that person suffered injuries from the fall
As long as the victim was not provoking the dog or trespassing, victims are eligible to pursue compensation from the liable party.
Compensation For Dog Bite Victims
Dog bite injuries can have long-lasting effects on a victim’s health and life. Children, in particular, are vulnerable to dog attacks and can suffer permanent scarring and extreme psychological trauma. You must work with an attorney who understands the complexity of dog bite injuries and the emotional and psychological impact they can have on victims.
Dog bite victims can seek compensation for:
- Medical treatment, surgeries, rehabilitation
- Permanent disfigurement and scarring
- Lost wages and earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional and psychological trauma
Our New Orleans dog bite lawyers can review your unique case and help you explore your available sources of compensation, whether it is from the dog owner’s homeowners’ insurance coverage, renter’s insurance, or another source.