New Orleans Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
Pedestrian Accidents in Louisiana
When you decide to go for a walk rather than drive, you probably expect to reach your destination safely. But whenever you are out on the roads, you are at the mercy of motor vehicles and the reckless drivers behind them. In fact, thousands of people die each year after being struck by a vehicle. In Louisiana alone, 1,140 pedestrians were injured and 130 died in traffic accidents in 2020. Overall, the rate of pedestrian traffic deaths has increased by over 6.5% since 2019 and more than 20% since 2015.
If you were hit by a car while walking, or if someone you love died in a pedestrian accident in or around New Orleans, you already know the devastating impact these accidents have. What you may not realize is that you are likely entitled to financial compensation for both your economic and non-economic losses. This includes things like current and future medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
At The Womac Law Firm, we have been working tirelessly on behalf of the injured since 1983. Our New Orleans pedestrian accident lawyers know the challenges you are up against, and we know how to fight back against unjust insurance company efforts to dispute, devalue, or deny your claim. We strongly encourage you to reach out to our firm today to learn how we can help you get back on our feet after a serious, life-altering accident.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents?
While many factors can play a role in pedestrian accidents, the most common cause is negligence. This negligence can take many forms, but it often involves a motorist acting carelessly, recklessly, or unlawfully.
Pedestrian accidents are typically caused by:
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Failing to obey traffic control devices (red lights, stop signs, etc.)
- Failing to stop at crosswalks
- Fatigued driving
- Pedestrian intoxication
While pedestrians are required to yield to oncoming traffic in some circumstances, motorists have the primary responsibility of avoiding collisions with people on foot. In fact, Louisiana law generally favors pedestrians, recognizing that they are the ones who are far more likely to be injured or killed in a collision with a large, heavy, fast-moving vehicle. As such, drivers are required to exercise extreme caution when driving near pedestrians, especially when a pedestrian appears confused, disabled, disoriented, intoxicated, or impaired.
Put the Womac on ‘Em!
No matter how careful we all try to be, sometimes being alert and paying attention is simply not enough. When a negligent or irresponsible driver has caused an injury, you deserve to be compensated. At The Womac Law Firm, we can help you fight for every dollar you deserve, including compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. We maximize each claim by taking into consideration the current and projected costs of all your injury-related expenses. This way, you will have the resources you need to cope with life after your accident.
Led by our founding attorney, Ed Womac, we are committed to seeing you through the personal injury process. Ed has over three decades of experience handling claims and over 30,000 cases under his belt. Our team has seen firsthand how victims struggle financially, emotionally, and physically. Whether your pedestrian accident case involves a bus, car, truck, motorcycle, or another type of motor vehicle, The Womac Law Firm will work hard to hold negligent, reckless, or careless motorists accountable.
Unfortunately, many pedestrian accidents result in catastrophic injury, meaning you likely needed emergency medical attention at the scene of the accident. If, however, you did not require emergency care, it is critical that you still see a doctor as soon as possible after the accident. The shock of the accident can mask your injuries, and you may not realize how serious they are for hours, days, or even weeks. The sooner you see a medical provider, the better—not only for your health and overall well-being but also for the future of your personal injury claim.
After you have checked yourself and others for injuries, try to do the following:
- Obtain the name, contact information, and insurance information of the driver who hit you. If the driver flees the scene, immediately write down everything you can remember about the vehicle (make, model, color, license plate number, etc.) and driver (age, sex, hair color, etc.).
- If there were any witnesses, get their names and contact information. It is also a good idea to write down or record a brief statement of what they saw and remember about the accident.
- Document your injuries. Take pictures right away, as well as throughout the healing process. If possible, obtain copies of your medical records and document all doctors’ appointments, visits to specialists, physical therapy sessions, etc.
- Follow all your doctor’s orders, advice, and recommendations. This includes attending follow-up appointments and complying with additional tests, taking prescribed medications and recommended over-the-counter medications, completing physical therapy exercises, and resting.
- Avoid speaking to anyone from the driver’s insurance company. Their adjusters may attempt to contact you after the accident but remember, you do NOT have to provide a written or oral statement about what happened. In fact, it is in your best interests to avoid talking to these adjusters altogether, as you may accidentally say something to jeopardize your claim.
- Contact an attorney as soon as possible. Your attorney can immediately begin gathering evidence and building your claim. Your attorney will also negotiate with the insurance company so you don’t have to and, if necessary, can help you prepare for litigation.
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in New Orleans of the nearby areas, act quickly! In most cases, you only have one year from the date of the accident to file a pedestrian accident lawsuit, so the sooner you reach out to The Womac Law Firm, the better.
The Womac Law Firm
At The Womac Law Firm, our team is comprised of experienced New Orleans personal injury lawyers who work hard to deliver you real results. We listen to your story, explain your options, and let you know how we can help. Your case matters; let us help you get the justice you deserve.