With hazardous winter weather conditions upon us, it is important to use caution while driving. If possible, it is best to stay off the roads. Many roads are icy and some roads may be closed due to icy or snowy conditions. Bridges may freeze first so take extra precaution while driving on bridges and overpasses. These conditions can lead to traffic problems, delays and accidents. According to nola.com, the state police said they have been called to work on over 200 accidents related to winter weather conditions.
If you have to get out on the road, here are some helpful hints regarding driving in icy conditions:
- Drive slowly and do not speed.
- Buckle up and keep your eye on the road.
- Leave plenty of distance between you and the car in front of you.
- To avoid skidding, gently apply the brakes.
- Keep your lights on.
- Make sure your windshield is clean and you have good visibility.
- Don’t use your cruise control.
The following weather.com link can give you more information on driving
on icy roads.
Even if you are careful and use caution, you may be involved in a car accident. If you are injured in an accident or have any questions regarding an accident, call The Womac Law Firm for a free consultation with one of our experienced New Orleans personal injury attorneys.