The aftermath of an accident can be chaotic and stressful. Many people may not understand the claims process and end up making mistakes that can affect their case. If you have been injured in an accident as a result of someone else’s negligence and start the claims process, remember the following tips.
If you need help preparing and filing your claim, don’t hesitate to call our team at (504) 470-3935 for a free consultation.
Follow these tips in your personal injury case:
- Call the Police. Immediately after your accident, notify the police and call for emergency personnel if you are injured. The police will evaluate the situation and write up a police report that may include who is at fault. Remember to ask the police officer how to obtain a copy of this report.
- Collect Information. Preserving evidence for a personal injury claim is very important. If you are able, be sure to write down the other party’s insurance information, take down witness names and contact information, and take photographs of the accident scene.
- Seek Medical Treatment if You Are Injured. If you delay seeking treatment, you could put your health in jeopardy. Additionally, insurers might think your injuries are not as serious as you claim and try to lessen the value of, or even deny, your claim.
- Follow Doctor’s Orders. Always make sure that you follow through with your doctor’s orders. When an insurer sees gaps in treatment, they may question whether you really needed medical care. It is important that you make your appointments and have your doctor monitor your symptoms regularly.
- Investigate Before Taking the First Offer From Insurers. It is common practice for insurers to offer a low settlement for their first offer. Before you accept any offers, you should always know the value of your case and the extent of your damages. Our attorneys at The Womac Law Firm can help you better understand what your case is worth.
- File Within the Law’s Time Limit. All injury claims have time limits, so the sooner you take action, the better your chances are of obtaining a favorable outcome and not being barred from recovery.
- Consider Hiring A Personal Injury Attorney. The personal injury claims process can be very complicated. When people handle claims themselves, they can make mistakes, miss important details, and decrease their chances of recovering fair compensation. A personal injury lawyer can help you minimize mistakes and help you recover the fair value of your case.
Call Experienced New Orleans Personal Injury Lawyers for Help
Before you start your claim, you should always understand your rights and damages in your case. Our New Orleans personal injury attorneys at The Womac Law Firm can provide experienced support through every step of your claim. Having recovered millions of dollars for injured clients just like you, we are committed to helping you fight for full and fair compensation.