Skip to Content
Call Us Today! 504-470-3935

Blogs from November, 2021

Who to Call for Storm Damage

tree fell on house after storm

Hurricanes and heavy storms can cause serious damage to your home in just a few hours. When the storm passes, you have to start getting everything in order to make certain that your property can be restored in as little time as possible. Who do you call for help after storm damage, though?

You might need to call these parties/numbers when your home is damaged by a storm:

  • 911: If someone is in imminent danger of injury – or if they have already been seriously injured – due to the storm damage to your home, then you should call 911 and request fire and rescue services. After a brutal storm, there might be dozens or hundreds of people in your neighborhood who are also in need of emergency assistance. It might take longer than expected to get help, so do what you can to take care of yourself and your family in the meantime. Prioritize your health and safety.
  • Municipal emergency response agency: Your county or state should have some sort of emergency response agency that helps coordinate local rescue and housing efforts after a natural disaster like a hurricane. You can call that agency to get specific instructions about what to do in your area. For example, if an evacuation order has been given for your neighborhood, then you should be able to get more information from that agency.
  • Insurance company: When the danger has passed, you should inspect your property as soon as you can. Call your insurance company after your inspection and let them know that the storm has damaged your property, so you will need to pursue a property damage claim through them.
  • Third-party appraiser: If the damage to your property is extensive, then you might want to call a third-party appraiser or a contractor to inspect it. You cannot always depend on the insurance company to fairly assess your property damage, so a second expert opinion can be incredibly helpful.
  • Attorney: Save an insurance claim attorney’s number in your phone now because you might need it after a storm damages your home. If the insurance company tries to deny, delay, or devalue your claim, then you should call that attorney right away.

If you live in New Orleans or the surrounding area, then you can save Womac Law Firm as a contact in your phone under the number 504.470.3935. Give us a ring at any hour, any day. We take pride in being able to help clients with difficult hurricane and storm damage claims.

Share To: